Monday 25 November 2013

First show

I was invited to display (sell) at an artists bazaar, held yesterday, Nov., 24. I have never done that before, in fact, it is really just the last year or two that I have sold my stuff.


The bazaar seemed to have a feminine slant to it, lots of girly stuff! There were about 25 booths. I took every fancy little trinket box I could make. I also took a few games I had made for my folks last year. They were not impressed with Shut the Box, or Quarto. And I made up some cedar bird feeders and bird houses.


The pretty trinket boxes did not sell well. The bird stuff sold great. Fine with me- no varnishing time on a bird feeder! And cedar is cheaper than oak, maple and walnut. And I sold every last game I had.


So what did I learn? The pretty boxes I like to make- I might as well not bother. And I think, after doing the math, I earned about 2 bucks an hour for all the shop time I had preparing.


Oh well. Live and learn. Now I still need to get rid of these boxes. And two music stands, did I mention those?


No more shows.





I still have those 4 boxes in front, I thought they were pretty nice. Asked several people if they thought I was pricing about right. One particularly savvy shopper friend thought I was on the low side. Another said, seems cheap. I did sell a few, all priced similarly, except the big jewelry box, I had a lot in that , and I thought it looked great. I’d rather give it to my sister or someone, then sell it too cheap.



I’m thinking I don’t want anything to do with selling for money anymore. Back to doing it for fun! Stops being fun, when you put dollars into the equation.


-Dan



https://s3.amazonaws.com/ljimg/mwuhopa.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment