Saturday 14 December 2013

Fir Dovetail Box

Fir Dovetail Box


This is the 2nd box i’ve made in my life time. The wood is reclaimed from Ballpark bench seating (there was a lot of frustration in the “reclaiming” process). Since i used 1/2 blind dovetails i cut the dados on my table saw. The rough cuts for the box were done on the table/band saw and final dimensioning/joinery was done with hand tools.


I used deft gloss finish on the outside of the box and on the underside of the top. Spraying the underside of the top with gloss was a bad idea as it left a residual smell. I rubbed a bit of lemon zest on the inside to try to cover up the smell, but the net result is that it ended up smelling like a urinal cake. =\


I used this box to ship a friend a nintendo USB controller and a little Mario USB drive with some NES emulator software+roms (the games we use to play years ago). I stuck the USPS label right to the bottom and dropped it off at the post office. I’ll ask him to send a picture when he gets it to see what kind of shape its in.



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/444111-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment