Friday 19 October 2012

Osage Orange Nail Balancer Puzzle



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/projects/72960

Osage Orange Nail Balancer Puzzle


I have been carrying around these nails for the balancer puzzle in the bottom of my tote for year. the object is to balance 10 nails on the head of one. It is funny watching people try to do this before they know the trick. I showed the trick so any Lumberjock will be able to do it.


Today I found this piece of Osage Orange for the holder to keep them all in one place. The piece had cracks in it but they turned away when I got to the size I needed for a holder.


I also wanted to try out my new drill fixture that works in conjunction with the index wheel on my lathe. The fixture is built to the exact center of the lathe spindle. It swivels in the banjo for any angle and there are bushings for the outer shaft to slide in and out and bearings on the inner shaft that the drill chuck is mounted to. I bought the Jacobs chuck on E bay and it is made in the UK and tightens in the opposite direction to the ones we use in the USA. It takes some getting used to but it was brand new!


There are 10 holes around the perimeter for storing the nails- the center nail is epoxied in. It is finished with EEE and Shellawax.








Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment