Friday 20 December 2013

Oak Pedestal Table Project

Oak Pedestal Table Project


I suppose it is a compliment when people find something used up, falling apart, they do not want nor need they think of me. I am not drawing parallels here to my character or usefulness, just hoping it is an indication of my reputation for woodworking and antique restoration.


This table was purchased new for the house that I live in and passed around across the generations ending up out in the weather, apparently several seasons. When it was offered to my wife she was elated to have an original piece for our circa1860s house. So I knew what I was going to be doing.


When I received the table it had been refinished and every board in the top was cupped. I set it aside to dry and a year later I started on it. When I began to disassemble it every glue joint had dissolved and I was left with a big White Oak puzzle. So I cleaned and re-glued every joint except the pedestal which remained intact. The carved feet fell to pieces and several pieces of carving were missing.


The pedestal Lion paw feet had to be replaced. I considered making them, but decided to see if I could purchase some fist. I found feet made of Red Oak from Dutch Crafters which were not as detailed but nice. Four feet cost over $200.00. I ordered them without studs and they arrived with the studs in a sack and the holes pre-drilled and threaded….very nice.


The mounting surface at the rear of each foot was flat and the pedestal was curved. I had to hand shape the curves in the feet and did pretty well. I had a few gaps but decided to live with them. I did it with a hand rasp and a rotary sanding tool I bought second hand a few years ago but never used. There must be a better way to create the curve and I will have to learn this because I was not completely pleased with the fit of these joints.


After sanding and reassembly I stained the table a Minwax Golden Oak as directed and finished it in Lacquer. I have never used lacquer on a table top before and have found it is sticking to hot objects a bit. I probably rushed it into service a bit fast. If the problem persist, I will have to refinish the tabletop in the spring.


Once completed, I found one in an antique shop in good shape for $350.00. I am sure I have more in this one, but the boss wanted this table and now she has it.



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/446011-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment