Sunday 1 December 2013

Barnwood Art

Barnwood Art


Came into some nice weathered barn wood so decided to get artistic. The frame is made of some boards that had a nice orange lichen on them. The frame is made of two components, the main mitered frame which I then covered with an outer layer to conceal the cut edge of the barn wood. That’s the challenge with barn wood, when you rip it to width you expose a relatively ‘new’ edge that contrasts with the weathered edges.


Once the frame was completed, i used a particle board, painted black, to fill the void. Then I painted barn wood various colors, using some milk paint and some other paints I had in my inventory. I resawed these pieces to random thicknesses, then cut them into random sizes. I pieced these into place, like a big jigsaw puzzle, painting the edges black before gluing them into place. Finally, I sprayed several coats of semi-gloss poly over the whole thing.


The wife loves it.



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/440977-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment