Sunday 27 October 2013

Creativity : Elaboration

One way to come up with new ideas or improve upon existing ideas is to elaborate on them. In fact, some people believe that all new ideas are elaborations of existing ideas. You should always be striving to improve your ideas and solutions by adding depth or detail. You can use the following nine different principles to help in your elaborations.



Substitution

Can I put something in place of something else?



Combination

Can I combine two ideas into one?



Adapt

How could I make something similar work?



Modify or Magnify

How can I alter or expand the use of this idea?



Put to other use

What other applications is this idea useful for?



Eliminate

What parts of the idea can I get rid of?



Rearrange or Reverse

How can I rearrange the components? What are some opposite ideas?



You can remember the above nine principles by using the acronym SCAMPER.

No comments:

Post a Comment