Wednesday 25 September 2013

Super Mario (extra big)

Super Mario (extra big)


Saw this on Lumberjocks a while ago and I just had to make it.

original was made by drunkenwoodworker http://lumberjocks.com/projects/83027

The original version had 1” square tiles and therefore he had to make the chamfers with a grinder. I wanted to use a router table so I opted to make my tiles 2” square for safety.

Now its super huge and heavy and I’m not sure where I’m going to hang it….almost 40”x40”

Anyway, my son and I had a blast making it and it tore him away from video games for a while.

44 Maple squares

62 Walnut

64 African Mahogany

All tiles chamfered and glued to 3/4” oak plywood and framed.

I sprayed on Laquer. I probably should have used sanding sealer first because my Maple darkened quite a bit losing some of the effect. The image almost appears better at an angle (pic 4) than when you look straight at it (pic 1).

Either way it was fun. I asked drunkenwoodworker to make a Donkey-Kong next so I can copy that idea as well.

Thanks for looking.



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/425755-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment