Wednesday 25 September 2013

Help me build a Jig!

My engineering skills are fairly insufficient. I tend to find that my gut instinct in constructing new devices tends to be totally contrary to the inter-workings of reality.


So, please feel free to help me think this out.


A few weeks ago I received some amazing help planning out some compound joints. Here is a sketch I was provided.



I would like to build a jig to cut multiples quickly and efficiently.


My gut says, build a small sled, lay out the necessary angles and attach rest blocks along the angles. I would then only need to lay the wood across the blocks and run the sled down the table saw. It seems fairly simple in my mind, but when I attempt to execute it, it appears to be the work of a cross eyed slug. I can’t seem to figure out how to properly lay it out properly. Math is a serious issue with me. I typically have my wife help me with this sort of thing, but I’m not having much luck on this one.


I know that the angles I need are all 30 and 60 degrees. The depths vary, but that’s not as big a deal as the placement of the joints themselves. If you look at this picture, you can see that there are two cuts, one on top of the other, wherein the placement is offset slightly. I’d like to achieve this by perhaps dropping in stop pegs at the correct distances.


Hopefully my request for help will give someone another great puzzle to solve. lol. Thanks in advance for any advice.



https://s3.amazonaws.com/ljimg/mtp5ljq.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment