Tuesday 2 April 2013

Coffee Table #1: Thinking about getting started

I’ve decided that we need a coffee table in our family room. We used to have one, but it had a thick glass top that my 5YO son crashed into one day. The glass didn’t break, but the gash in the back of his head required a staple to keep it shut! Suffice it to say, we decided that it was time for that table to go. Now it’s hiding in the basement waiting for use to do something constructive with it (like sell it!).


Now the family room is wide open and in need of something. I’ve got a few goals for this project:

1. design it myself

2. build it with appropriate joinery


I want the piece to have some drawers for storing puzzles (we love doing jigsaw puzzles and don’t have a good spot to do them) and maybe a blanket if need-be.



I sketched out an idea for something with frame & panel sides and a couple of drawers (not sure if the dimensions make sense yet, but we’ll see). I hit Google image search for some samples of Arts & Crafts and Shaker tables and came across one that really blew me away.



I really love the clean lines on that piece, and how it seems so light but solid at the same time. After coming across that one, I decided that maybe I’d like four drawers instead of the two that I had originally conceived. Either way, now I need to drum up some sketches and figure out how this thing is going to go together.


Not sure when I’ll even get started, but I know I want to do it, so that’s enough of a start for now… I need to figure out if I can/should build it out of S4S lumber I can find at the box stores, or if I should venture into rough lumber and mill it here. The latter would require getting some more tools in the shop (either hand or power), so I’m not sure if that’s in the cards just yet, but we’ll see. I do know I’d like to build it out of oak.


That’s all for now… I’ll post more to this series as the project moves forward. I’m excited to document the whole thing to see what I can learn from it going forward.



https://s3.amazonaws.com/ljimg/mknaayu.jpg



Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment