Friday 15 February 2013

Kids Lego Table #1: Legos arn't complete without a building plan



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/Whooboy/blog/34541

The goal was to create a LEGO/Craft Table that our kids would enjoy (ie keep them busy) for years. After brainstorming with my wife, we decided on a few design ideas.


1. The lego table should have permanent LEGO base plates

2. The Tabletop should be reversible so if your not using legos your kids can color or play games

3. The Tabletop should be split in half so 2 kids can work on different activities.

4. There should be some kind of storage for the legos

5. It should be short and stable for small kids


After working on a few different versions, this was the final plan.


Full Table



Table without the plywood top



You may notice we picked the Duplo lego block (the bigger one) if you kids are older you can use the standard lego baseplate


I am a self taught hobbyist and still learning/refining my woodworking skills. I enjoy reading the pages of lumberjocks to learn new techniques. My hope is to document my journey encase its helpful for other LJs out there and pay it forward. Ultimately for this project, I decided to put a few very simple joints (large box/finger joints and a through mortice) into my project so that I can work on my techniques. Maybe next time i’ll expand to dovetails, but I dont want to bite off more than I can chew.


Time to head to the lumber yard….





Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment