Wednesday 4 December 2013

Is something wrong with me?

I am fairly new to woodworking but I noticed I go to websites like Woodcraft or Lee Valley or other sites, I am drooling over random tools that I have no use for a the moment and current projects. I see things like random marking gauges, spokeshaves, handplanes and even power tools and I am like “Ooo awww I want that, not sure what I would use it for, but I would like to have that…” The odd thing is, I just turned 21 and a few years ago I would do the same over new games and stuff that would come out, but now when I even think about games or playing games I am like ehh not really. Now days I find walking down the lumber isle at Lowes more exciting than walking down the entertainment and electronic isles at Wal-Mart. I use to spend a lot of time on the computer on Facebook and playing games, now my most visited pages are Well Facebook still is top since I check it daily to keep up with friends and check out the woodworking, blacksmithing, and artifact hunting group pages I am on, but my 2nd most visited is Lumberjocks, then the rest are literally sites to look up tools and other items. (Amazon, Ebay, Woodcraft, Acme Tool, Lowes, then Home Depot). I just think it is crazy how fast once I started the hobby and interest in woodworking that it has changed me in so many ways. I use to like in games where I was in control and could make decisions and use my imagination. Now I found out I can do the same with woodworking and it is so much more rewarding! You have nothing to show for how much time you spend on a game, but when you do woodworking, the more time you spend the more you have to show for it and more to be proud of. You make stuff, you use your imagination, you build skills that you can use for life, you can help people when they need something, you can make gifts, and you can make things for your two sweet nieces that most your wood working is centered around haha. If someone looked into my work area they would probably wonder why I have a small wooden desk, small wooden bench, and plans and lumber for a small seesaw which I haven’t gotten to yet. I just love woodworking and everything about it. I like power tools and the hand tools. I like the simple stuff and the more advanced. The rustic, traditional, and modern types. I just don’t know why I want my hands on every tool I see haha. I am like the cookie monster, but with tools! Anyone else have this problem?



http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/lumberjocks-topics?d=yIl2AUoC8zA

No comments:

Post a Comment