Thursday 8 August 2013

Puzzle table - made from upcycled / recycled spool

Puzzle table - made from upcycled / recycled spool


so last in this batch of projects, I’ve not been adding them recently.


Anyway, I put this side table together from some materials I “upcycled” (the new word for repurposed stuff I guess). I got the spool top and some 2×4’s from a yard debris drop site. Normally this wood would have been chewed up and made into compost or some such. A little TLC and I have a side table with character and furniture cooler than I’ll ever be.


The idea for the base I got online searching for base ideas from something called “puzzle furniture”. You can search that and get hits from some old French designs and a new fella in Europe who’s making/selling a more modern looking set based on that idea.


The legs all slide together and form the tripod base. I liked the tripod as the top is somewhat uneven and this keeps it stable. Also it makes a great outdoor or deck table. good for any uneven surface. It may not sit perfectly level on an uneven surface, but at least it won’t be tippy.


I don’t work for Rockler btw, but I love the Arm-R-Seal again. So easy to apply I don’t dread finishing any more. It’s also very water resist. The outdoor bar I made my sis earlier has taken a load of water when her patio roof started leaking and that finish never even blinked.


The top is just lots of sanding and smoothing, some nailing and screws to make it tight, a urethane oil coating and a cherry stain to finish. (Not in that order btw, I know some of you are gonna raz me for that)



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/415430-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment