Saturday 17 August 2013

Homebuilt Arcade - MAME emulator

Homebuilt Arcade - MAME emulator


This is an old project, that I completed back in 2005.

Total expenses was no more than $400


Many-a-coin was spent during my childhood, in various Arcade machines. I considered buying my own machine when I came of age, but since original parts is a large investment, I was afraid I might grow tired quickly of playing the same game over and over. Then I stumbled upon a site called “Build your own Arcade Controls”, and I knew what I had to do.


For those who doesn’t know: MAME is a PC program, that lets your PC act like it´s an old Arcade machine. Adding more games to it is fast, easy and most important: free!


The parts:





For ease of transportation, I built it in three parts, that can be dismantled again.


Assembly:





2 bolts, to hold everything together.





Access to the back of the machine where the TV and Computer cables is located is necessary.


Control Panel layout:




Just floor vinyl glued on top of the plywood, before I drilled the holes for the electronics




Connecting all the buttons to the I-PAC4 keyboard Interface




The heart of the machine is my old PC with Windows XP installed.




Back in 2005 we had something called “CD-roms” and they were the primary means for moving data from computer to computer.


2013





Today we live in another house, and I no longer have my old great man shed. I have to make due with sharing the playroom with the washing machine, freezer and general storage stuff.


Hmmm…. I might have to build my own shed again somewhere someday? :-)


Hope you enjoy



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/417509-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment