Sunday 14 July 2013

Simple bookshelf with a twist

Simple bookshelf with a twist


My wife’s grandfather (who died before I met my wife – I really wish I had the chance to meet that man) made book shelf’s for each of his grandchildren (and probably children too). We were talking about his craftsmanship one day when my sister-in-law suggested a book shelf that would hold the little wooden puzzles for kids as a little twist.


I thought to myself, hmmm – I wonder what that would look like. So after a couple of days of doodling around on some paper, and the night before my nieces birthday party I came up with this:


It was pretty exciting carrying that in for a 3 year old that knew exactly what to do with it. By the time I set it down, she already had started bringing over her puzzles and books from the over-flowing book shelf she was using.


The kicker for me was this was the first time I had undertaken a project like this. I had never build anything out of wood, but always watched my parents growing up (both my mom and dad are skilled with their hands). I figured “woodworking has to be genetic” so I promised that I would bring something, and built this the night before her party! With only a table saw… Keeping that in mind, I think I did alright.


I included the only picture that I have during the build, when I had glued everything together. I had it “clamped” with tie down straps. I really had (have) no tools yet!


But now I have the bug, and I want to build so many more things!



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/409799-196x130.jpg



Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment