Thursday 2 May 2013

Built in Bookcases with Window Seat

Built in Bookcases with Window Seat


These bookcases and window seat have been a long time in the making… I started the week of July 4th last year and I’m finally just about done with them! I worked on it in small bursts on nights and weekends, an hour or two then I wouldn’t get any time for a couple of weeks… nearly a year goes by pretty fast on that schedule!


All that’s left now is some knobs, a final coat of paint, then a few coats of poly to protect it. The entire unit put together is just over 16’ wide and nearly 7’ tall. Originally I was going to build them right up to the ceiling but didn’t like the look of it once I got the bookshelf up there, so I ended up cutting them down about 1’. All the lower cabinets have adjustable shelving, the uppers have fixed shelves and the window seat opens for storage for kids toys, games, etc…


The lower cabinets and window seat case are made from 1 sided pre-finished birch plywood, the bookcases are all sanded plywood for the case. All face frames, door rails and stiles are made from poplar. The counter tops and door panels are made from 3/4” & 3/8” MDF respectively. One of the trickiest parts of this project was replacing a 15’ baseboard with a hydronic toe kick heater… after admitting that I actually don’t know much about plumbing I called in the professional to hook that up. Under the window seat is a hinged panel in case we need to do any maintenance on the heater.


This was definitely the biggest project I’ve taken on yet, in both scope and overall size, and I’m extremely happy with the outcome… and more importantly so is my wife!


Thanks for looking!



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/392037-196x130.jpg



Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment