Monday 22 April 2013

Medal Chest for Mom

Medal Chest for Mom


This is a chest I built for my mom to house/display all her track and field medals (she’s a senior games athlete with enough medals that dad counts them in pounds, not by number….and she needs a place to keep them). I decided to make this an early birthday/mothers day present as well.


It’s about 18” long by 9.5” deep and 12” tall (that includes the 2” arch on the lid) and has 2 little drawers insode that can be removed for display and to access the lower level. It’s lined in maroon and gold felt (FSU colors are garnet and gold, where she was part of the founding class of many Lady Seminole sports in the ‘60s) and sealed with many coats of shellac.


It’s made of 3/4” maple amd walnut, with aspen inner boxes and plywood bottoms. The carving (my first relief carving of which I am very proud) is in 1/4” basswood and measures 4” x 4” and is inset 1/8” into the maple front.


It took more than two months to build and is the reason I’ve been so quiet lately.


If you’d like to see the details (and there’s a lot) check out my blog...


Thanks for looking!



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/389586-196x130.jpg



Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment