Monday 4 February 2013

Bandsaw #1: Woodgears 16" Wooden Bandsaw



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/SirSeth/blog/34366

This tool will be quite a large undertaking for novice ol’ me, but I’m poor and have a pile of cherry and walnut logs in my carport that need to be resawn into dream guitars and heirloom furniture (in my head). I’m just starting the journey, so be patient. I have a 15 month old son and a lovely wife that take precedence. When I’ve had it with one of the, I seek refuge in my man cave and work on my saw. So if this takes a while you know we are all getting along over here. If I finish it this month, we are about to kill each other.


Plans: So folks. Just go to woodgears.ca and check out Matthias’ videos. You might end up building a saw too. :) The plans are worth every penny. They are magnificently detailed, with lots of pictures and CAD diagrams, and Matthias will answer your questions.


Modification of plans: We try things. Well, I am going to raise the frame by 7cm so that it fits a 111” blade rather than the 105” blade that the saw was designed for. Call me crazy, but I want to make a large out feed table and sled for sawing logs. I’ve been warned, I know, but I have to try it.


First pieces for me are the guide blocks. I was still scrounging for wood for the larger parts when I started these. The guide blocks are Bloodwood. It’s the hardest wood I have besides some ebony which which I’m saving for guitar bridge blanks. Wood is measured in Janka units. (not Jenga—that’s a game made of wood). As a reference, pine is about 400 on the Janka scale. Hard Maple is about 1400. Bloodwood is 2900. Use the hardest wood you’ve got for guide blocks.


Next step is to cut frame pieces and rough out the wheels. I scrounged an old wooden cabinet that was being tossed which has given me enough wood to laminate the entire frame. What a find! I love it when that happens. 40 of the pieces are cut. (There are about 70 in in the frame total).


More later….






Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment