Sunday 6 January 2013

Got our 20" PM81 Bandsaw resawing, PICs included



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/topics/45121

So, my 20” PM bandsaw has sat taking up real estate and doing nothing since I purchased it at a school auction. It was 3 phase and had no blade, but we needed some mesquite lumber and I decided spending 1000.00 on 200 bf of mesquite was not wise since dead dry logs are almost everywhere. I spent 450.00 on a brand new Dayton single phase motor, bought 2 blades that are 3/4” with 3 TPI for 50.00. I went out and obtained 2 trailers full of smaller to medium sized logs. I did end up with some larger logs but not sure when or how I will ever saw the few larger logs we ended up with. Believe it or not, we have resawn 250 bf of mesquite this past Friday and Saturday and we still have several logs left. We have also straight lined and surfaced two sides of the mesquite so far. At 5.00 per BF that has a street value of 1250.00. I think we are ahead of the game financially.


By the way, my only experience with a bandsaw was with a 9” Hitatchi that was junk, I once owned a 9” craftsman but never used it. So certainly I had never had any experience with resawing but the internet gives a lot of knowledge.


Here are some pics:



using a come along to pull log straight through blade. We built an 8’ long table that fits around the bandsaw providing ample infeed and outfeed space to resaw 4’ long logs.



installing new motor in bandsaw



small portion of our resawn mesquite



straight lining lumber



surfacing lumber





Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment