Friday 25 January 2013

Electrical panel question



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/curliejones/blog/34144

As I plan the new shop, I’ve come across a common spec. for electrical panels that puzzles me. OK – save all the buzz about – if you don’t know this, you should hire an electrician before you burn the place down.

Common to many GE and other panels, I see the statement “neutral holes sized to 14-4 wire”. These include 125A panels with 14 spaces (what I’ll probably use), as well as 200A panels with 40 spaces. My confusion lie in the 14-4 size statement. I’ll have a bunch of 20A circuits for tools and lights and one 30A circuit just in case I ever decide to upgrade from hobby-sized tools to a bigger table saw. My plans include using lots of 12-2 wG for most of the circuits and 10-2 wG romex for the 30A circuit. So just what is the 14-4 statement about since not many folks use size 14 wire? – Thanks!





Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment