Saturday 24 November 2012

Queen Bed Frame



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/projects/74573

Queen Bed Frame


This is my very first “by myself” project. Sure, back in the day in cub-scouts I build a tool caddy and a few other things, but this bed, from design to final assembly all had my name on it. I did have a extra pair of hands a couple of times (thanks Honey!), but this was the first time I took some think from the drawing board to the workbench to it’s full-time use.


I learned a lot in the process – and it only whetted my appetite to improve my design, construction techniques, and fit of parts. (I’m in the process of building a table for my brother-in-law so he can play a game called ‘Warhammer 40k’ on it – a lot of what I learned in this project is helping here).


In any case, I built this during my senior year of college for my wife and I, and it needed to be done one a budget, and quickly. So, I build it out of cedar posts, and pine dimensional lumber. I had a sander, a power drill, and a shop that one of my neighbors was very kind to let me use (compound miter saw, small table saw). I wanted it to be easy to assemble/disassemble, and I succeeded at least in that regard.


All in all, not bad for a first project, and I left it with my brother-in-law (different one) so he and his wife would have a bed of their own, since I graduated and my wife and I would be moving on.


I’d be happy to share my sketch-up file for it, if you’d like to use it as a starting place for a similar project.








Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment