Friday 2 November 2012

For Fun projects #2: Some small projects (Dinosaur Shelf, Brain Teaser)



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/jcboysha/blog/32780

So, after the meta post I had last night, I thought I’d post something a little bit lighter today. I would like to thank the kind words I got from people here at LJ. It’s nice to know this place is a community of polite and nice individuals! I got myself out of the funk I was in last night, and brought myself back to the land of less darkness. So, YAY!


Also, I did manage to find some time to get into the shop, which was exciting! (Side note, I work afternoon shift, 3-11, so I have time in the morning three days a week while my wife is continuing taking classes). I got started on two projects!


The first is a brain teaser I saw online the other day while browsing youtube, the second is the shelf for my son. I’ll post pictures and explain them as it goes along!


First for the brain teaser I had a 2 inch square length of Red Oak. I ripped it in half twice.


This left me with four equal length square pieces. These had to be cut to allow for the pieces to sit together and form an X.


This is after I cut them down (Sorry about the burn marks on the wood. I need to replace my blade I think)


Next I drilled holes in the wood to make the puzzle section. First I drilled holes Down the length of the short ends that were cut; second, I drilled one hole in the center of the top piece.


Then I assembled the one half that I completed. I did a dry test as well to make sure it would work.


However, as with all lucky things, one of my dogs thought that half of this puzzle would make a lovely chew toy!. So here are the pieces to the second half that I will be completing next time I can get into the shop! To fix the problem I just have to duplicate the piece I already made. Shouldn’t be too hard.


For the shelf, I also started with Red Oak. I have one half-inch plank to use for the shelf bottom, and one quarter-inch plank to use for the back. This is they cut down to 2’ lengths (which is the desired length of the dinosaur shelf.)


The back is cut with a slope on it. I have some more sanding to do to make it even, but, here’s an in progress picture.


Ultimately I’ll be coping in some dinosaur silhouettes to make the shelf look more themed.


Anyhow, I’ll keep you updated on the progress as time goes on!








Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment