Thursday 13 December 2012

Quarto Game (times five)



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/projects/75574

Quarto Game (times five)


I was inspired by Steve (Woodworking for Mere Mortals) to build a Quarto game. Check out his video on how to make one like it and how to play it. It’s checkers on steroids with a little bit of thinking like chess.


It seemed silly not to make five….(Chirstmas presents done!)


Case is made of birch. Walnut inlay (my first attempt at an inlay). Oak and birch playing pieces. Spray (can) lacquer finish. (first time with lacquer). Box has water based poly on it.


I used a black/ebony water based Minwax stain on the playing pieces. I soaked the little buggers in the stain to get them to be really dark. I picked up the oak dowels at the local big box store. I had to soak those pieces a second time to get the darkness to match. It was a little more work than I thought. The end result was worth the effort.


My bride made up a ‘how to play’ card for each set.


After sanding 80 playing pieces there is just a small amount of my sanity in each set.


Build it. They will play it.

(or take the easy way out and buy it from Amazon)


RSLater,

RSmike





Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment