Saturday 28 December 2013

12-Piece Burr Puzzle

12-Piece Burr Puzzle


Just a little something to use up some scraps. This is a 12 piece burr puzzle in cherry and walnut. I got the plans for free from the American Woodworker site.


It’s very easy to make – all 12 pieces are alike:

3/4×3/4×4.5”

Each one has 3 cuts with a 3/4” dado set 3/8” deep.

I used my dado crosscut sled and it took less than 5 minutes to make all the cuts. Another couple minutes for a quick sanding and then I relieved the edges on the router table.

From the time I grabbed the scraps out of the bucket to the time I finished relieving the edges was under 20 minutes. That included ripping to 3/4×3/4, cutting to length, installing the dado blade etc.


Assembly, even with the instructions provided, took a bit longer.

It is a snug fit as made, and I’m worried that any finish will make it too tight. So I’ll either sand it down some more, or – more likely considering the amount of scraps I have to get rid of – I’ll do up another one but add a couple .01 shims to the dado set.


My goal for next year is to use up as many small scraps as I can, and I like puzzles. So if you know of any other burr puzzle plans like this please post them on LJ!



http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/448755-196x130.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment