Tuesday 5 March 2013

My first piece of furniture



via LumberJocks.com RSS Feed - All Posts http://lumberjocks.com/projects/80659

My first piece of furniture


This project was my second in woodworking, from 2003, and was undertaken to fill a need for our game room. The idea came from a Wood magazine, cover project from the March 2003 issue. When I saw the magazine while hiding from my wife in the grocery store, I decided to try my hand at this woodworking stuff, to make a small refrigerator cabinet for the grandkid’s pop and juices.


When I made this, all materials came from the big box store, pine S4S, and I now know that I could have made 3 or 4 of these for the price of the wood versus what I now pay at the saw mills. Of course the saw mill wood requires a little more preparation, but that’s what woodworking is all about.

Also, when I stared this project, I had but few tools, only a router and some hand tools. (hammer, Sears panel saw, etc.) I had no clamps, so I used strips of plywood with wood blocks drywall screwed & wood wedges for pressure. Trim was from the big box store, the molding, door knobs, etc., and the hinges from a new found woodworking source, Rockler. I bought a “dovetail saw” at big box, to cut the dovetails on the drawer, and it was worth every bit of the $8.00 or so that I paid for it, LOL. I haven’t used it since then, cuts like a sharp rock. I plan to use it again though, to learn how to re-file hand saws.


Well, since I was pleased with the results of this build, and most importantly so was the wife, I decided to take up woodworking for something to do in my retirement years, which started about 2 years ago.


Thanks for looking, have fun working the wood.





Crafty Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment